New player and bard question

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Rubenmarcellas, Feb 23, 2017.

1. Rubenmarcellas

Rubenmarcellas New Member

Hey everyone. I plan on starting soon and want to primarily play a bard. It seems melody isn't implemented which means I'll be focusing mostly on the bard. Here is a few questions for you experts.

Can I solo as a bard when no groups are available.

Would any class compliment a bard when I'm soloing.

Will groups/3-box like a bards help when I'm off.

Are bards desired later on in PoP.

I've really only dabbled with bards in the past and wanted to give it another chance here. Thanks for the help guys and I hope to see you in game later on.

2. Draeko

Draeko Active Member

Yes, you can solo. Will it be difficult at high levels? Probably. You can't really, aoe kite here. So charm kiting is the way to go solo

A cleric, shaman, or druid would complement well if you want to focus on the bard. Pet classes also go great duo with bard, but you may end up doing more on that character than the bard. Though mage does very little other than pet and nuke, so its probably more true for necro

A well played solo bard should be welcome in any group. They're crazy versatile, great CC, mana/hp regen, haste, snare, etc

Bards are really great in PoP. In Luclin they get pbaoe beneficial songs, then in PoP they get a song that increases spell damage for the group and they have some of the best pulling capabilities

3. Neealana

Neealana People Like Me

All I know about bards, is that I want one in my group. Playing mana songs. Maybe resists if they are good at singing 2 songs )

4. Rubenmarcellas

Rubenmarcellas New Member

I'm guessing a gaming mouse would be pretty useful for a bard then. Guess I'll see soon lol.

5. Bastette

Bastette Active Member

This is EQ, keyboard for almost everything...

6. Tuluvien

Tuluvien I Feel Loved

I use a trackpad still, though purchased a mouse for tradeskilling. After AK I knew I wasn't Gunna do that on a trackpad again.

Hotkeys hotkeys. The majority of my mouse use is in-inventory for sure.

7. Delorne

Delorne People Like Me

I might be biased, but I genuinely think bards are the best soloing class in the game. With a full songbook and good instruments, you can accomplish some amazing things. Pet/Charm classes have some advantages and can maybe do some things a bard isn't capable of, but I think those classes are also somewhat dependent on other classes to accomplish those things.

I think any high DPS class compliments a bard the best. I mean, it's always nice having heals (clerics) and static buffs (shaman), but I think DPS would have helped me more than anything else when I played back on AK. A wizard, mage, necro, and (to a lesser extent) shaman would do some good work with a bard. But, I'm still biased, I think a bard is best played as a single box. With fully devoted attention, you get the most out of everything you do.

If you play the class well, you'll always be in demand. You can pull, you can shorten downtime, you can speed up kills, you make every player in your group better at their job and you have a ton of utility to fill small gaps in a group (snares being a clutch one). PoP will really open things up and make you more desirable in both groups and raids. The AAs, the instruments, the songs, the places you can go... the game really becomes a bard's playground after PoP is released.

Good luck barding, man. Hit me up anytime if you have questions. Daladran/Gharn/Tavuel

Quirk, Saskoris, Ransom and 2 others like this.
  8. Kazlan

Kazlan New Member

Can bard open door to crypt in SEB?

9. Bum

Bum I Feel Loved

Can someone explain to Spaide how to play a bard well?

10. Delorne

Delorne People Like Me

Nope, couldn't do it on AK even with skill mod lock picks. Lock pick skill for bards is limited to very few doors that are even remotely worthwhile. That's why getting summoned through a door and having Gate Hammer + Eye of Zomm hat was so vital for bards who wanted to get deeper into dungeons. The downside is you can't bring anyone with you.

11. Kazlan

Kazlan New Member

Ok no bard for me yet then.